Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Last Man Standing

Today (August 7th, 2012) marks our 1 year anniversary that Courtney and I moved to NYC with Lenny, who actually joined us a little bit later, and I am the last man standing (barely).

A year ago my mind was filled with thoughts like; "I just graduated college." "I'm pursuing my dreams." "Real life is going to be so much better than being stuck in the place that I grew up." "Nothing is going to hold me down." "I rock." And while some of those thoughts still occupy my mind, they now hold more/different meanings to them.

"I just graduated college." = "I'm brand new."
"I'm pursuing my dreams." = "My hopes are set too high."
"Real life is going to be so much better.." = "Real life kicks my ass."
"I rock." = ... well I still think I rock just not out loud. :)

The first time I was on my own was in Nashville. I had some pretty bad experiences in school and I needed some time off. I was working at restaurants, playing music sometimes, and basically on a year's vacation. I was filled with anger and regret. This time in NYC I feel i'm actually trying to do something that is better for me in what I want to do. It's good this time and as I write about all the not so great things in my life, i'm happy about it. Strange.

When Courtney and I decided to move here we made a deal. I don't remember what we actually said to each other but we agreed that we were going to give it a shot out here, spend 3-4 years at the least. We knew it was going to be hard and risky. But we told each other that we were in it together, in NYC. We knew that one of us might get a job that would take us either out of state or over seas for a period of time and we promised we would be prepared for that. And I was prepared for it, I wasn't prepared for how it would make me feel. I won't go into detail but in short, I really miss her, and I don't know if she will ever come back to stay for good. I know she will always be my friend but she will not always be my room mate. That is hard to deal with. First Lenny left, and now Courtney is gone. I am the Last Man Standing.

Managing money has always been a struggle for me. I find myself thinking that if I were rich and I owned everything then all would work out for me. I'm really trying to remind myself that I have little money and even bigger responsibilities.

Okay...now work news! 
Silence! The Musical has just moved to Times Square and we all couldn't be happier about it. We have an AWESOME marque and signage on 42nd street. It's really amazing to see the show I work on on a building in Times Square. Our theater is called The Elektra Theater, it actually use to be a stip club of some sort a while back but now it holds our show, which is located in the TIMES SCARE building. So we share a space with a haunted house, a creepy and disgusting magic show. and a lot of other special events. This is not a place that I would take my parents to but I want them to see my show!

I started working for Dan McMillan (drummer for Silence!) and Randy Cohen doing some load-outs for shows/recording sessions around town. We did the Book of Mormon First National Tour a few weeks ago that was really cool. I'm hoping I can meet a lot of great people and make good connections. There was also a hint of doing some keyboard programming for some shows.

A funny and neat thing happened at Silence! a few days ago that gave me the chance to do something a little different for the show. A few nights ago the show's computer that runs the sound and light cues was stolen from our theater, we don't know how it happened but it was gone and that's that, we needed a new one that same day for that nights show. So I get a call from the producers asking me if I can go purchase new equipment (not with my money) and then take it to the theater to set up the show again. I agreed and when I got the equipment to the theater I had to call our lights and sound guys and have them walk me through how to set up all the programs (QLAB and MOTU) to get the show back running. I was pretty nervous because I didn't want to screw the show up in some way but I did what they asked. I didn't even think twice as to why they were having me do this when my department is wardrobe. But as it turns out they meant to call the guy who runs our sound to do all of this, his name is also Seth. And none of us figured it out til they had to send me emails with audio and video licenses for QLAB and MOTU and I wasn't getting the emails. The good thing about this is now they know that I can do other things than wardrobe.

Well it has been quite a year here in NYC. I love it, I hate it, I love it and hate it again, but overall I am here to stay. I miss everyone back home and I wish you all would/could come visit. Aside from my depression about being by myself in this now I know this is where I'm supposed to be. I have made some really great friends and I have gotten the chance to work with and for amazing people. I hope i'm moving forward.

Love you all, you mean the world to me.

COME VISIT AND SEE MY SHOW!
http://www.silencethemusicalnyc.com

-Seth

(Don't forget to subscribe to our blog for updates)

No comments:

Post a Comment